Thursday, March 29, 2012

New Projects and One of My Very Own

Some new projects have happened since my last post (which was before spring break). I helped give a library tour to yet another prospective professor, and it is cool to find out what they would add to the collection if they got a job here. For instance, this one professor was more into pop music and our collection does not have much material on the subject. New professors can really transform the library in that sense, as well as online resources they recommend. I also found full scores and recordings of Bruch pieces that a former professor requested. Instead of looking up WorldCat results, I looked up the pieces on websites that sell sheetmusic, such as Arkivmusic, Theodore Front, JWPepper, and SheetMusicPlus (which is what I use when I buy my own scores).

I also edited our music research guide (accessible through the library homepage). Tim is proud that our research guide has the highest number of views than those of other academic areas. The count is now 2,496 views this year... but that could just be because Dr. Dorman made it his homepage. I added references (and my own little descriptions) to the page that conservatory professors and staff recommended: University of Oregon DigitalBach (mass in G minor) and the Library of Congress Victrola Book of the Opera.They are interactive, multimedia digital resources for musicians to use, including interactive manuscripts with linked lectures, notes, and recordings. I also added the Library of Congress National Jukebox which has a plethora of historic public domain recordings.

Most recently, I was able to develop my own project on Baroque Opera scores, which has been a plan of mine since I applied for this internship. My reason behind it is because I have had trouble finding the sheet music for some early opera repertoire assigned in lessons, specifically Alceste by Handel and Alceste by Lully. This project involved researching the most commonly performed Baroque operas, seeing which full scores our library has, and which ones we should acquire. I searched WorldCat for this, and oftentimes the library record is in a foreign language. My knowledge of French, and working knowledge of Italian and German are actually useful in a librarian position! So that was fun and I felt accomplished afterwards. I must admit when I applied I thought special project would mean a display on the main floor of all the scores I found and writing up some historical background. This was easier, but maybe that'll be in the future when we acquire the new scores.

My next project will be giving another Information Literacy Session for Dr. Robertson's American Music and Dance class. Their project is an oral history of American music of their choice. I will be showing them what music resources the library offers; books and audio as well as electronic resources. I decided that my research paper topic on Apache music from last year would provide a good example of resources we have. I used MusCat, Interlibrary Loan, JSTOR, external sites, and oral/written communication with people I met on the San Carlos Apache Reservation last January. I will also probably talk about citing such sources, as well as how to use a concept map to create keyword searches and connect the ideas of the paper.
That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment